Adam Plouff is a freelance motion designer and animator based in Atlanta, Georgia. During our conversation, we discuss the beginnings of Rubberhose, how to start coding for animation, and his most recent project: “Why Pay?”.
Why Pay: https://vimeo.com/145548262
- Photoshop T-Shirt Designer
- Lead singer of a hardcore metal band
- Learned Final Cut 6 & After Effects
- Animators Kit
- Writing expressions
- “Try to push yourself forward with every project.”
- How to make lines, curves and invert values and volumes
- Rubberhose beginnings
- ”Coding can be taunting: someone described it as staring into the void”
- ”I wrangle data with code. If you can think of it in those terms: it’s just a different way of managing data.”
- Dream client: Myself.
- Favorite Animated Film: Iron Giant , Rejected by Don Hertzfeldt
- What your kids think you do: I make robots
- Animalator: A sloth because they are adorable, and they know how to chill and I don’t.
David Stanfield is a motion designer and director based in Charleston, South Carolina. During our conversation, we discussed his journey from an advertising major to a freelance animator, the pros and cons of animating with a design background, and the Nine Squares project.
Nine Squares: http://9-squares.tumblr.com/
- Advertising major with design classes
- Animation for TV and broadcasting
- Pros and cons to having a design background
- Illustrator and photoshop background
- Having a harder time with space and dimensions
- A piece of advice: “Don't worry about the animation just yet, start by making it look as good as possible, and telling the story in the most effective way. Worry about the animation later. Don’t limit yourself with fear of not being able to animate it.”
- Making the transition to freelance
- “There are more interesting things to aspire to then being comfortable.”
- Nine Squares
- Dream client: people who know what they want, more kid focused work
- Favorite animated film: Aladdin
- What your kids think you do: make really boring cartoons
- Animalator: hedgehog, it is super cute and I knew my daughter would like it.